Jonathan never really cared for a pacifier. He would use one sometimes to sleep until he was about 4 months old, and then just never used it again. Samuel likes his a little more, however. He really only wants it when he's fussy or needs to go to sleep, but it's pretty important at those times. Well, this morning he woke up at about 5:15 (we had a little sleeping setback awhile back and are still getting adjusted) so I went in to give him his paci, rock him, do whatever he needed. I looked everywhere and couldn't find the paci. The room is completely dark except for a dim little night light. Jonathan is sleeping in his bed on the other side of the room. Let me remind you that we do not live in a mansion and probably have too much furniture in too small a space. One can only minimize so much. That fact is important to this story. Now you have the mental image of their room :)
I determined that I couldn't put Samuel down a look for the paci or he would start crying again and wake Jonathan up. So I went to wake JP up. He was not delighted by this wakening, but he's a good daddy and husband so he got up to rescue the missing paci at 5:15 am. He found it in the corner of the room where it had fallen between the crib slats. And now back to the furniture issue - he moved the crib, the changing table, and the chest of drawers only to have a small opening in the corner with the paci that he could not reach. I am feeling helpless as I stand in the middle of the room, holding Samuel and trying to give suggestions. At this point, Jonathan had woken up (how he didn't sooner, I don't know) and Super Dad has the solution - drop big brother in the hole to retrieve the paci! He asked Jonathan to be his big helper and he sure was! He got placed down in the hole, retreived the paci, got picked back up out of the hole by his daddy, got some water and got back in bed. Samuel got his paci and the world was right again! After about 20 minutes of rocking, I finally got Samuel back in bed and thought that this is the kind of stuff they should tell people before they have kids. We prepared for kids in many ways, but early morning paci raids was never part of our planning! I also thought that an inanimate object about 4 inches long should not have that much power over our family, so I think we will try to start weaning from the paci soon :)


1 comment:
We have a bowl full of paci's for that very reason. We probably have 10 or so. :) When I cleaned them out of the slats one time I found 6 back there! :)
Post a Comment